Steps To Take After A Serious Injury
If you have been injured, this may be the first time you have had to deal with another person’s insurance company for issues such as lost wages, medical bills, property damage, and pain and suffering. That inexperience can lead to costly mistakes.
Here are some steps you can take to protect your rights after an accident:
- Obtain medical care. Toughing out an injury can be costly to your health and your financial recovery. The insurance company will not believe you are injured unless you have medical records.
- Take or have someone take pictures of the accident scene and vehicle damage.
- Collect names and telephone numbers of witnesses.
- Do not give a statement to the other driver’s insurance company. They will try to get you to say things that are damaging to your case.
- Do not accept a settlement without legal advice. Even though you feel you need the money, you could end up with far less than you will need to cover future medical bills and lost wages.
- Do not sign any release forms without legal advice. You could give up your rights.
- Continue to seek medical treatment until you recover as fully as possible.
If you have suffered a serious injury, it’s important to seek legal advice even if the other side seems cooperative. The insurance company responsible for paying your bills may make promises that it won’t keep. The longer you wait to retain a lawyer, the harder it will be to prove your case.
With offices in Plano , our lawyers represent car accident victims and their families in Dallas-Fort Worth and throughout West Texas.